By the mere fact of living in the United States, your chances of being involved in a car accident increase. The country of the American dream is considered one of the nations with the highest number of traffic accidents in the world. Only in 2015, there were 6.3 million accidents that resulted in dead, injured and material losses.
Learn how to take care of your health and finances after a car accident.
In Georgia, it is estimated that there are almost 1,200 accidents a day or about 300,000 accidents annually, of which there are alarming figures that indicate that more than 100,000 people are seriously or slightly injured. Also in Georgia, the National Security Council indicated that deaths from automobile accidents increased by a third in the last two years.
Luckily, the main result of most of the car accidents that occur is material loss and in the second instance the injuries of the driver and passengers. If you are involved in a car accident you should know that there are key steps you must take to protect your life and avoid financial setbacks that may be generated in the long term after the crash. According to the lawyers of the Díaz & Gaeta Law Firm, located in Atlanta, Georgia, these are the five steps to follow immediately after you are involved in an accident.
- Never run away from the scene of an accident, let alone if it was someone else who hit you. If you drive without a license, although you will surely receive a fine for this, it is better that you stay at the scene of the accident since you show responsibility by worrying about the other driver and showing your face. Running away simply, will aggravate your problems whether you are guilty or not.
- Get to a safe area while you wait for the police or firemen. You should know that your safety is the most important, if you have an accident on a road with high vehicular mobility, it will be best to stay in the vehicle to avoid windings. If you think you are in danger in the car make sure there are no vehicles traveling before leaving the car.
- Call the police immediately. Many people do not suffer serious injuries and feel sorry for the driver who hit them, they end up not calling the police and solving the problem without involving the authorities. But this is an ill-advised decision. Although at the time of the accident you do not feel anything, with the passing of days you may experience some ailment due to the accident, in addition if your car was hit or if over time you present problems because of the accident, it is crucial that you have the police report to claim insurance for damages to your car.
- Collect Evidences. If the vehicles do not interfere with the traffic the best is to leave them in the position they were in after the crash and take pictures of the scene. Also, photograph the damage to your car in detail. All the physical damage you suffer if they are visible must also be captured in a photograph. Another fundamental evidence is to obtain the driver’s insurance information that caused the crash. If there are witnesses to the accident, obtain their telephone numbers so that the lawyer who advises you can contact them later.
Photograph the damage to your car and your injuries in detail.
- Advise yourself by a lawyer and a doctor. There is an old saying that lawyers and doctors should be told the truth, but in this case, after a car accident, the first thing you should do is call a lawyer to give you legal advice to understand what the steps are. to follow since many insurers do not want to pay or will try to pay much less for the damages caused to your vehicle and your person. On the other hand, after receiving a strong impact from a shock, it is important to perform a general medical check-up. If the accident caused you serious injuries then a lawyer will fight for those medical cats to be covered by the accident and not out of pocket.
Bear in mind that Georgia is one of the states with the highest accident rate in the country. It’s necessary to remember what you should do after an accident because it can happen to anyone. Therefore, it is crucial that the lawyer who advises you has a long and recognized career, it will determine the outcome of your case. If you are involved in an accident in Atlanta, Georgia remember that you will find security and credibility at Diaz & Gaeta Law.