What To Do After A Hit-And-Run Car Accident
A lot of Georgia citizens mistakenly think that a car accident only happens when there are terrible weather conditions, when a driver is distracted, or while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, but often, accidents occur close to home.
When you are in a car accident, you are likely to panic. As a skilled Georgia car accident attorney, I have some important steps you can take to ensure your protection.
If you don’t have legal status in the United States, don’t worry. At the Díaz & Gaeta Law Firm, we have a full team of attorneys and each of our employees has the right skills to defend you in the event of a car accident case, immigration case, or both.
Continue reading to learn some tips about how to act in a hit-and-run car accident situation.
What If You Are In A Hit-And-Run Accident In Georgia?
As in any car accident, it is important to carefully document the events that occur. However, it’s difficult to do so when the other driver, who caused the collision, flees the scene. Does a hit-and-run mean everything is lost? Don’t worry.
For more than 10 years, I have worked as a Georgia car accident attorney, giving a voice to the Latino community and defending them in Georgia in situations involving collisions between multiple cars and a hit-and-run.
Ways to Act: What Not To Do After A Hit-And-Run Accident
After a hit-and-run car accident, you may have a feeling of helplessness watching the driver who hit you flee the scene. Stay calm and follow these tips:
- The first thing you shouldn’t do is chase after the fleeing driver. The police could blame you for the accident since you also left the scene. In addition, you may lose the testimony of those people who witnessed the hit-and-run accident.
- Don’t let time pass. After verifying that you are not seriously injured and that no one else involved in the accident is hurt, call the police to file a report. Helping the police make a detailed report of everything that happened will give you more options in the future to win your car accident claim.
- Are you undocumented and afraid of being involved in a car accident with a driver who flees the scene? Don’t be nervous. Listen to the police and give them the necessary information to make the report. Then, contact Diaz & Gaeta Law. You will get the legal defense you need to win your compensation regardless of your legal status in the United States.
- Don’t give the insurance company unnecessary information. Insurers are the biggest sharks and will seek to extract all the information necessary for them to accommodate your case and offer you a lower amount than normal. With an experienced accident attorney, you may get more compensation than you expect.
Ways To Act: What You Should Do After A Hit-And-Run Accident
There are many ways to act after a hit-and-run accident in Georgia, but once you act in a certain way, the consequences, whether positive or negative, of what you did and said will be put in motion. It is important to know what to do and what questions need to be answered at the time of the accident, and which ones you can leave to resolve with your Georgia car accident attorney.
First, call the police and medical services if there are injuries. If you did not suffer any injuries at the time of the accident, it is important to be checked as soon as possible by your doctor.
Even if the driver who caused the accident flees the scene, try to remember as much information as possible about the car, such as the make, model, color, direction in which he fled, and place and time of the crash so that the police can carry out further investigations that may have a favorable outcome.
After watching the driver flee the scene, did you see witnesses at the scene of the accident? Ask the witnesses to verify your version of the events. Some may offer a different statement in which they can provide additional information. Be sure to get their name and contact information.
How To Speed Up The Auto-Insurance Claim Process
Georgia is one of the states in the U.S. with the highest number of car accidents. Because of this, you should have auto insurance that allows you to cover all types of damages. As we discussed in one of our Facebook lives, having decent auto insurance coverage is important.
You may be someone who drives carefully, keeps the proper distance from other cars, and never is distracted behind the wheel, but many accidents are not caused by you. They are caused by others. Do you have the auto insurance that is right for you? Does it cover all kinds of damages and compensation?
If you’re lucky, you can get information from the other driver. In other cases, you will be less fortunate and the driver who caused the car accident will flee the scene and it will be impossible for you to obtain that information. How can you speed up your accident claim process after a hit-and-run?
You’ve probably heard that “most crimes are solved in the first 48 hours after the accident.” This is because the scene of the car accident remains intact and all the information is obtained immediately. As a Georgia car accident attorney, I advise you to listen to these two tips:
- Most states are governed by statute or regulatory guidelines about how long the time period is for them to deny, accept, or offer you certain compensation. It is important to have an attorney who has the experience of handling these types of cases to ensure success in your case.
- Most adjusters are professionals. As mentioned before, they are specialists in finding some points that make you question your claim and compensation. They will offer you a minimum amount for your case. Be really honest, cooperative, and sincere. Don’t try to fool them. Talking to an attorney beforehand will allow you to obtain strategies that will get you much more compensation than you expected.
Committed To Helping The Community
At the Diaz & Gaeta Law Firm, we are committed to our community. We have defended and won cases in every court in Atlanta. As Latino attorneys, we understand that justice in this country is not blind to the race and ethnicity of our clients, and we are committed to fighting discrimination and prejudice against you and your family.
You should never be the victim of a hit-and-run accident by another driver who decided to flee the scene to avoid being at fault for the damages caused, nor should you be a victim of insurance companies.
Were you involved in a car accident in which the other driver fled the scene? Contact us as soon as possible to avoid losing the compensation you deserve.