If you’re like most other Marietta truck accident victims, the days after the crash will seem like a blur. Most people involved in truck accidents suffer tremendous injuries. Sometimes they’re out of work for weeks or months at a time. If you’re lucky, you’ll walk away with just a few broken bones. The last thing you will want to do is fight with the insurance company. You need to focus on recovering from your injuries. That’s why it’s a good idea to meet with a Marietta truck accident attorney as soon as possible after the crash.
Our attorneys have spent years helping people involved in truck accidents get compensation for their injuries. They aren’t afraid of the big insurance companies, and they won’t back down. Their goal is to get you as much money as possible, as quickly as possible. They understand that your injuries may be devastating. Some of our clients aren’t able to work after what end up being catastrophic injuries. Even if they can work, rarely can they do the same kind of work they did before their truck accident.
Because truck accident cases involve more than one defendant, they can be very complex. Even some attorneys have a hard time handling this type of case. The last thing you want to do is try and handle this on your own. If you call one of our Marietta personal injury lawyers, you can schedule your free, initial consultation. This will give you a chance to hand all the legal stuff over to a professional while you focus on getting better.
You Won’t Be in Any Shape to Fight with the Insurance Company
Most of our clients who were involved in a truck accident suffer very serious injuries. In the days and weeks after the crash, they typically can’t work, they can’t socialize, and they certainly aren’t in any position to fight with the insurance adjuster. This is where we come in. Our Marietta truck accident attorneys well go to bat for you and try to get you as much money as possible. If the insurance company won’t approve your claim, then your lawyer will have no problem filing suit. They’ll pursue the driver as well as the company they work for. They will gather the evidence it takes to prove that the other driver was at fault. They will also make sure you get pain and suffering for your injuries.
Marietta Personal Injury Lawyers Know How to Prove Negligence
As with any other motor vehicle accident, your Marietta personal injury lawyer is going to have to prove negligence. To do this, they need to demonstrate four things:
- The truck driver owed you a duty of care-All drivers owe a certain duty of care to other motorists. Professional truck drivers are held to a much higher standard. Not only do they have to obey all traffic laws, but they also have to abide by the federal regulations set for commercial drivers.
- The trucker breached their duty of care-This is typically the hardest part of your case to prove. Your Marietta truck accident attorney will have to show that the truck driver did not behave the way another driver would have given the circumstances. For example, if the truck driver had exceeded the allowable hours under the federal regulations that will constitute a breach of duty. Or if they were carrying a load too wide for their vehicle, they would also be found to be in breach.
- You suffered an injury-As terrifying as a truck accident may be, you aren’t entitled to damages unless you suffered an actual injury. This can include physical injuries as well as financial ones. As long as your attorney can prove that you suffered injuries because of the crash, you should be entitled to damages.
- Your injuries were caused by the defendant’s breach of duty-It should go without saying that your injuries were caused by the truck accident. However, the driver’s attorney will argue that something other than the crash caused your injuries. This is why it’s so important that you go to the hospital immediately after the crash. This will prove that any injuries you sustained were directly related to your truck accident.
As long as your Marietta truck accident attorney can prove all four elements of negligence you should have a solid case.
Your Marietta Truck Accident Attorney Will Demand Damages
Given the nature of truck accidents, your Marietta personal injury lawyer is going to make sure they demand any damages you may be entitled to. Of course, your damages are going to be higher depending on the severity of your injuries. It will also depend on certain factors such as your age, income, type of work, and general health.
Here is a list of some of the damages your Marietta personal injury lawyer will demand in your lawsuit:
- Medical bills and future medical bills-the defendant should be responsible for any medical bills you incurred as a result of the crash. In addition, they will have to compensate you for any future medical care you’ll need.
- Lost wages-if you miss more than a couple of weeks from work, you can demand reimbursement from the defendant.
- Lost future income-depending on how serious your injuries are, you may not be able to go back to work for quite some time. Or you were you able to go back to work but not in the same position as before. Your attorney will demand compensation for the difference between what you would have earned had you not been injured and what you’ll now earn.
- Property damage-obviously, if your car or SUV is damaged or destroyed during the truck accident, the defendant must pay for any repairs or replacement vehicles.
- Pain and suffering-these damages are intended to compensate you for mental and physical anguish caused by the truck accident. The general rule is that your attorney will demand pain and suffering equal to three times your medical bills. This means that, the more serious your injuries, the higher your pain and suffering.
It’s important to remember that every case is unique. While your Marietta truck accident attorney will demand as much compensation as possible, they can only get you damages they can prove.
Contact a Seasoned Marietta Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you or your loved one have been injured in a truck accident, contact one of our Marietta truck accident attorneys today. Someone at our front desk can schedule your free, initial consultation over the phone or you can do so through our website.
When you come in, one of our associates will review your case and give you an idea of what it might be worth. They can also review any correspondence you received from the insurance company to date. They’ll do their best to prepare a case on your behalf. Since the consultation is free, you have nothing to lose.
And remember, you don’t pay our firm anything until your case is settled.